Call for free Tax Review

Resolving a CP3219A Notice: Steps to Address Tax Discrepancies & Prevent Future Issues

Receiving a notification from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) can evoke a sense of apprehension. An example of such a notice is the CP3219A, which serves to inform individuals that the information they reported on their tax return does not align with the information received by the IRS. This notice delineates the proposed modifications to your tax assessment, elucidates the methodology employed in its computation, and offers guidance on how to proceed. In this blog post, we will guide you through the necessary steps to effectively address a CP3219A notice, accompanied by invaluable recommendations to prevent future tax-related complications. Should you require assistance throughout this process, Priority Tax Relief, a reputable tax service provider, is available to lend their expertise.

Key Steps to Resolve Tax Return Discrepancies

Upon receipt of the CP3219A notice, it is imperative to comprehend its underlying objective and promptly engage in the requisite course of action. This notice serves a distinct purpose, namely to apprise you of identified incongruities within your tax return. It explicitly delineates the recommended alterations to your tax liability, explicitly indicating whether it will entail an augmentation or diminution. Diligently scrutinizing the proffered information and adhering to the prescribed measures is of paramount importance to proficiently address the matter at hand. By conscientiously undertaking these actions, one can ensure conformity with tax regulations and expeditiously rectify any disparities.

1. Carefully read the notice

Take the time to read the notice thoroughly. It will explain the proposed changes to your tax liability and how the amounts were calculated. Understanding the details is crucial for your response.

2. Respond promptly

It’s important to respond to the notice within the specified timeframe. The notice provides two options for submitting your response:

  1. Mail: Use the return address mentioned on the enclosed envelope to send your response via mail.
  2. Fax: You can fax your documents to the number provided in the notice. Ensure that you understand the privacy and security policies of the fax service you’re using when sending digital data.

3. Agreement with the changes

If you agree with the proposed changes, sign the enclosed Form 5564 and return it to the IRS. Remember, if you filed jointly, both spouses’ signatures are required.

4. Disagreement with the changes

If you disagree with the proposed changes and have additional information to support your case, follow these steps:

  1.  Mail or fax: Send the necessary information along with the completed Form 5564 to the address or fax number mentioned on the notice.

  2. 90-day response period: The IRS allows a 90-day period to work with you and resolve the issues. Utilize this time to provide supporting documentation and clarify any discrepancies.

5. Challenging the changes

If you still disagree after the response period, you have the right to challenge the proposed changes by filing a petition with the U.S. Tax Court. Ensure that you file the petition on time as indicated in the notice. Note that the court cannot consider your case if you file the petition late.

Tips to Avoid Future Tax Problems

Dealing with a CP3219A notice can be stressful. Here are some tips to help you avoid similar issues in the future:

1. Keep accurate records

Maintain organized and comprehensive records of your income, expenses, deductions, and any other relevant financial information. This will ensure you have the necessary documentation to support your tax return.

2. Wait for all income statements

Avoid filing your tax return until you have received all your income statements, such as Forms W-2, 1098s, and 1099s. Waiting ensures that you report accurate information, reducing the chances of receiving a notice.

3. Verify received documents

Thoroughly review all documents you receive from employers, mortgage companies, banks, and other sources of income. Double-check the accuracy of the information to avoid discrepancies on your tax return.

4. Report all income

Include all sources of income on your tax return, even if they are small or occasional. Reporting all income accurately demonstrates your compliance with tax laws.

5. Follow instructions

Carefully read and follow the instructions provided for reporting income, expenses, and deductions. This will help you accurately complete your tax return and minimize the risk of errors or omissions.

6. File an amended return if needed

If you receive additional information after filing your tax return, promptly file an amended return. This ensures that your tax return reflects all relevant and up-to-date information.

Responding Effectively to Proposed Tax Changes for Peace of Mind

Receiving a CP3219A notice can be unsettling, but by understanding the notice’s purpose and following the recommended steps, you can effectively respond to the proposed changes. Remember to read the notice carefully, respond within the specified timeframe, and seek professional assistance if needed. Priority Tax Relief, a reputable tax service provider, can guide you through the process and help you navigate any complexities. By following the provided tips, you can also minimize future tax problems and ensure a smooth tax filing experience.

Get a free tax consultation:

I acknowledge that by clicking “SUBMIT” I agree to be contacted via telemarketing calls and/or SMS/MMS text messages via telephone, mobile device and/or email. By doing so I waive any registration to any state, federal or corporate Do Not Call registry. I understand that calls to me and from me may be recorded for quality assurance purposes. I agree to receive approximately 10 messages every month and understand message & data rates may apply. Case results vary and are specific to each applicant qualifications. Call for complete details.

Table of Contents


 The simple answer is no. A business and a person are completely separate, thus, any personal tax debts or liabilities should not affect your business.

Tax debt can be an exhausting and complicated thing to deal with on your own. Communicating with the IRS and professionally handling your tax liabilities are just two of the services companies like Priority Tax Relief can offer.

No. The IRS’s Innocent Spouse Relief protects you from paying these additional taxes. However, this does not relieve you from household employment taxes, business taxes, individual joint responsibility payments etc. Priority Tax Relief helps you learn more about innocent spouse relief.

The most popular option to date would be an Offer In Compromise (OIC). At Priority Tax Relief, we help tax relief help become more accessible to taxpayers in need and help them understand how they can qualify for these options.

IRS tax liens are legal claims on your property when you do not settle your tax debts. The IRS usually sends out a notice when no payment has been made after a liability assessment. Find out more about tax liens with Priority Tax Relief.

Yes. Not only can the IRS put a claim on all your current property, tax liens can also affect any property or intangible or tangible assets that you obtain in the future. At Priority Tax Relief, we help you understand federal tax liens and how to communicate with the IRS.


Tax levies are the actual seizure of your property and are different from legal claims or tax liens. Settle your taxes before the IRS sends out a notice. Priority Tax Relief helps you understand tax levies and how you can avoid them.

Yes. Not only can they seize physical property but they can also legally take hold of the money in your bank account and other wages. To avoid this from happening, contact Priority Tax Relief now.

Your debt will, unfortunately, continue to grow and you will possibly lose a great number of your assets. It is definitely a scenario we do not wish to see happen to anyone, that’s why Priority Tax Relief makes sure that our help becomes within reach.

Need expert help? Looking to get back on track?